1. Thank the Lord for everything and refuse to worry about anything. You are His child and He will take care of you. He feeds the birds and clothes the flowers and He will do the same for you.
Matthew 6:25-34. Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment? Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they? Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature? And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith? Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
2. Stop relying on a feeling to tell you that you are saved. Assurance [of your salvation] comes by trusting what God says in His Word. Feelings will fail you, but His Word is always reliable no matter how you feel.
John 3:16. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 10:27-28. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
1 John 5:11-13. And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
3. Assume that you have the Holy Spirit in you just because God said so in His Word. The Holy Spirit is not known by a feeling or any kind of an emotional experience. Believe God for this too.
1 Corinthians 6:19-20. What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.
Ephesians 1:14-15. Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory. Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints.
Romans 8:9-17. But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you. Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh. For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
2 Timothy 1:7. For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
4. Humble yourself before God and He will lift you up. Moses was one of the most humble of men but notice how God lifted him up to be the deliverer of Israel. Humble yourself before God and let him exalt you in His time. It is a wonderful gift of God.
Numbers 12:3. Now the man Moses was very meek, above all the men which were upon the face of the earth.
James 4:10. Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.
1 Peter 5:6. Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time.
Colossians 3:12-13. Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.
5. Feed daily on the Word of God and never leave it until God has warmed your heart. This is the place of failure for many believers. Make it a must in your life. He will strengthen you by His Word. Do not let a day go by without reading some portion of God's Word.
Job 23:12. Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.
2 Timothy 2:15. Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
2 Timothy 3:15-16. And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.
Psalms 119:9,11,25,28. Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word ... Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee ... My soul cleaveth unto the dust: quicken thou me according to thy word ... My soul melteth for heaviness: strengthen thou me according unto thy word.
6. Keep your prayer life active and continue in it. This is one of God's great privileges to us. Pray without ceasing.
Colossians 4:2. Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving.
John 14:14. If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
1 Thessalonians 5:17. Pray without ceasing.
7. Renounce all forms of sin and self-centered living. Make a definite decision to get rid of the old life and take on the new in Christ. Christ has freed us from sin and we need to believe it and live that way.
Romans 6:1-2,6,11,22-23. What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?... Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin ... Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord ... But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life. For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Colossians 3:1-3. If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
8. Worship the Lord and do not doubt Him. The place [where you worship] is not the most important thing as Jesus told the woman at the well. We are to worship God in spirit and in truth. The Father seeks those who will worship Him in that manner. He always does what is right.
John 4:20-24. Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship. Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father. Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews. But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
Psalms 29:2. Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name; worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness.
9. Stop maximizing your defeats and major in your successes. Live for Christ aggressively with some Holy Spirit enthusiasm. You are not a failure when you turn your back on your failures and profit by them and go on with Christ. Forget the past and don't let it hound you. Press on for the high calling in Christ.
Philippians 1:21. For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
Philippians 3:13-14 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
Galatians 5:16. This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
10. Never give up. Live with immortality in view. There is life beyond this life, so press on. There is a resurrection yet to come for which you can praise the Lord. Life is not over yet, so do not give up even when times are rough.
2 Timothy 1:9-10. Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began, But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel.
1 Corinthians 15:58. Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.
Colossians 3:1. If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
11. Build your life on the promises of God and rejoice in them. Above all He has promised us eternal life and it is sure to come to pass. The Bible is filled with His promises. Begin with the promise of eternal life and rest in that one. He has promised to answer your prayers, to supply all your need, guide you, never to leave you, care for you, etc.
Titus 1:2. In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;
Romans 8:28. And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
2 Peter 1:4. Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
12. Stop downgrading yourself. God made you, so be the best that you can be for Him. Accept yourself as you are and do not care about the opinion that others may have of you. Your primary responsibility is to God. Make sure that you are always pleasing to Him.
1 Corinthians 2:1-4. And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God. For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling. And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:
John 8:29. And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him.
Romans 8:8. So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
Romans 15:1. We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves.
Hebrews 11:6. But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
13. Guard your thought life. Do not let Satan control it. What controls your thoughts most of the time? Never let it be gutter thoughts, but keep out of your thoughts the things that do not please God or that will not add to your life. Do not let any form of bitterness becloud your thinking or anything that is fleshly.
Philippians 4:8. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
2 Corinthians 10:5. Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
14. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. The wiles of the devil are most subtle. He will try to deceive you and get you away from the things of the Lord. Make sure you have on the whole armour of God so you can stand against him.
James 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
Ephesians 6:11-12. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
1 Peter 5:8. Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
15. Put on Christ and make no provision for the flesh. You are not in the flesh and have no obligation to it. The Holy Spirit in you sets you free from its power. Simply refuse to walk under its control.
Romans 13:14. But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.
Romans 8:9. But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
Romans 8:12-13. Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh. For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
Galatians 5:16-17. This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
16. Beware that you are not led away with the error of the wicked. They live as though Christ never died for them or that He will not come back again. They divorce themselves altogether from Him and live in material things rather than the spiritual things. They live for the now world and not for eternity. They have no time for God.
2 Peter 3:17. Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.
Psalms 19:7. The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
Psalms 58:3. The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies.
17. Be faithful in church attendance. This should be a must in your life. This is especially true in light of the coming of the Lord. He could come at any time. If the church is of the Lord, we ought to attend all the services and not just Sunday mornings. Show up at the prayer meeting too. It is advertised as being the most important meeting of the week and most folks never attend it. Make sure that you do. Give of your substance too.
Hebrews 10:25. Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
18. Practice contentment. There are so many things in today's world that can attract you and make you want to have. But you can learn contentment if you choose to do so. Ask the Lord to give you a spirit of contentment. Live within your means. To go beyond this you could be in for some trouble. Some folks are never satisfied and always want more.
Philippians 4:11. Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.
1 Timothy 6:6-8. But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.
Hebrews 13:5. Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
19. Don't set your heart on riches. They fly away and are not worth living for. The love of money is the root of all evil and we need to learn not to go after riches. There has never been a day when wages were any higher. The higher they go the higher we want to go. Watch out this does not become a lust in your life.
Proverbs 23:5. Wilt thou set thine eyes upon that which is not? for riches certainly make themselves wings; they fly away as an eagle toward heaven.
Luke 1:53. He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich he hath sent empty away.
2 Corinthians 8:9. For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.
1 John 2:15-16. Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
20. Live in the light of Christ's coming. It could be nearer than any of us think. A good rule to follow is don't go anywhere you would not like to be found when He comes. Don't say anything He would not like to hear you say when He comes. We have a wonderful hope that the world does not have and we ought to magnify it and live in the light of it.
1 Thessalonians 4:14-18. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. Wherefore comfort one another with these words.
1 Corinthians 15:51-58. Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.
Copied with permission of the author and lightly edited by Stephen Ross for WholesomeWords.org from Quarterly Notes, vol. 18, no. 4, "Practical Helps," by Al Troester.
>> More Doctrinal & Practical Writings